Moving is difficult. But there are some simple tricks that will help you have a smooth moving day.
It’s quite possible you’re very excited about your new home. (Hopefully this is the case!)
But the actual moving process? El stink-o.
Who really wants to pack up everything, move it, and then unpack?
Fortunately, there are ways to make your moving preparation easier.
Now, onto the actual moving day.
In the weeks and days leading up to your moving day, make sure you’re:
- Lining up moving trucks and vans.
- Lining up movers – either willing friends and family, or paid movers.
- If at all possible, clean out your new home before your move – scrub the kitchen and bathrooms, clean the carpet. It will be much better to move your belongings into a clean environment, rather than cleaning up around your boxes.
- Arrange for your new utilities to be turned on. You’ll want to make sure the lights turn on when you flip the switch.
- Know what you’re going to feed your movers. As long as people are volunteering their time (and muscles) to move your stuff, feed them. Plan on lunch food, snacks, or dinner. Or, buy gift cards to show your appreciation.
- Get ready to work hard. As long as you’re physically able, do the hard work and move those boxes. You’ll be exhausted at the end of the day – that’s just one of the guarantees of moving.
- Plan on setting up one area of your new home – the bedroom is a fantastic place to start. Make your bed. Grab a clock and a lamp. Put your overnight bag of clothes and toiletries there, so when it’s late at night and all you want to do is crawl into bed, you won’t have to search for your necessities.
By doing just a little extra planning and preparation before moving day, you can have a smoother – and not as stinky – moving day.
When moving, what have you done to have a smooth moving day?
Disclosure: Purchasing items through links in this post will result in a commission for No Place Like Home. Thank you for supporting this website!